Freminlins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Gayn Winters wrote:
>
> > What I get from reading this article is that if the use of the file
> > system is to store lots of small files, then use a small block size.  Am
> > I missing something?
>
> No and yes! There is a minimum block and fragment size. In this case
> there were not enough contiguous fragments to enable an 8K file to be
> created. Without checking I believe Solaris uses 8K blocks.

That's correct, and also note that Solaris does not offer the
flexibility in block sizes that is available from FreeBSD.

And it is correct that a small block size will vastly reduce the
ability to hit this fully-fragmented condition.  At a cost of higher
overhead, of course.

> > Also, in most situations, buying a big enough disk is far better than
> > worrying about what happens when a not-big-enough disk starts to get
> > full.
>
> Indeed. But... in the case I linked to there was apparently plenty of
> free space, just not enough free contiguous space. The author also
> implies that a bigger disk would not solve the problem:
>
>   "it creates and deletes tons of small files and thus the fragmentation
>   over a period of time."

Where "plenty of free space" is a large absolute number, but still a
small fraction of the disk.  Full fragmentation of the empty space
becomes exponentially less likely as the amount of free space
increases.

Note that when deciding where to allocate a fragment, there are two
possible policies the filesystem can follow: either a space-efficient
method that is more likely to require moving data when a file expands,
or a time-efficient method that will create new fragments more often.
FreeBSD can automatically shift between the two as the filesystem
moves over or under a threshold "percent full" value.  Solaris, I
believe, needs to be explicitly changed between the two.

> As mentioned though I have never seen this myself despite running very
> busy mail and web servers with what must be billions of files being
> created/deleted in that time.
>
> It certainly grabbed my attention so I thought it may be of interest to
> others.

It's an academic curiosity, but not an issue to take into account in
planning your data center.  Planning your filesystem layout, however,
may well be.

Be well.