On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Chuck Swiger wrote:

# Is "sysctl hw.ata.atapi_dma" set to 1?  It looks like your system isn't
# able

        Aha, that seems to be it; I had slapped that into my rc.local with
some other sysctl's (before I found out about /etc/sysctl.conf), and that
one is read-only by that stage of loading. Had to be in /boot/loader.conf
to 'take'.

# to send enough data to the burner to run at 4x, perhaps try burning at 1x
# speed and see whether that is more reliable.  (Often that works better with
# low-quality DVD-R media, anyway...)

        Seems to be chugging away nicely now:

 738590720/2937458688 (25.1%) @3.9x, remaining 7:23
 757071872/2937458688 (25.8%) @3.9x, remaining 7:17
 775520256/2937458688 (26.4%) @3.9x, remaining 7:12

        So I imagine I'm good to go :) This ought to me nightly automated
backups a snap!

        Thanks Chuck, Greg and others who emailed me diretly.

                jeff

--
"Have you played Atari today?"