Update - problem partially solved.
I believe that a typo in smb.conf caused the grief, HOWEVER the formatting of text files from lp kind of sucks. Printing is hard against the Left Hand Side of page and loses about 2 characters.

I looked and did not seem to have a2ps installed therefore installed and rebooted. Print is still the same - bad ALSO - I have been periodically getting kernel IRQ 7 error messages...!!! This does not sound like a good thing.

Suggestions?   Should I perhaps de-install CUPS and do again?

Note this was originally set up as a simple web server, but I thought since it is running 24/7 and has Samba installed to access files from my WinBox I might as well tie the printer to it so as to enable printing of config files etc .... (yes I can open Samba wider to access those files from Windows but I do not like the security implications!)

Some ideas from a good CUPser might really help.
Thanks,  Graham/

Graham North wrote:

I just set up my FreeBSD box to act as a printserver. I used CUPs and Samba following great directions found here: http://www.ajl-tech.com/index2.php?option=content&do_pdf=1&id=16

The printserver works very nicely printing jobs from my WinXP client to an hp4l printer attached to Freebsd, however it will not print files from itself using lpr.

A bit of hunting found some "gotchas" at: http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/cups.html ... and so I tried adding symbolic links for the lp and lpr commands as per the author's recommendations - see bottom of email.

The problem still exists however, now instead of getting error messages, if I issue a "lpr filename" command, my printer gives a quick blink, no errror messages are generated, but neither is printer output - nada!

Repeat - Samba and Cups work together fine on this elderly hp4l - print all sorts from Windows. Just cannot access from the server itself.
I am sure that this is a simple configuration issue somewhere -

my printcap definition, ie:  hp4l|lp|hp4l:rm=192.168.0.102:rp=hp4l:
ps. This was auto-generated from CUPs and oirignally was "hp4l|hp4l:rm=192.168.0.102:rp=hp4l:" (I later inserted the lp myself as CUPS does not, either way it doesn't work.)

Can anyone please point me straight on this?
Thanks,   Graham/

>From "gotchas"
************
"With FreeBSD, cups will place its configuration files in /usr/local/etc rather than /etc. The lp or lpr command that you will use is also going to be in /usr/local/bin rather than /usr/bin. As /usr/bin is listed first in the path for both root and normal user, if one tries to print using the command lp filename you'll get an error message.

There are various workarounds--one can edit the $PATH variable, type the entire path, eg /usr/local/bin/lp or do it the lazy man's way, which, as those who know me would expect, is what I did. I backed up the /usr/bin lp and lpr and then sym linked /usr/local/bin's commands to them.
mv /usr/bin/lp /usr/bin/lp.bak
mv /usr/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr.bak
ln -s /usr/local/bin/lp /usr/bin/lp
ln -s /usr/local/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr"