Ted Thomas wrote:
[ ... ]
I spent about 30 minutes on the site searching for matches to various parts of the error message, read numerous FAQ's, and generally browsed the installation guides to try and solve this before writing an e-mail. If you or Kris could send me an example of where to search and what to search for to find this, it would be helpful. I was using the search engine at www.freebsd.org, so I assume that was not the right one.

Well, let's make sure the search thingy for this thread actually includes a backreference. :-) Go to freebsd.org, click on "Search mailing lists" or anything else which takes you to the main search page:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=patch+failed&max=25&sort=score&index=recent&source=freebsd-questions

Google also works:

http://www.google.com/ie?q=FreeBSD+patch+failed

--