I use wine-20050725 from ports. You know, I also have problems with
fonts in CS. Sometimes they all work flawlessly, sometimes squares are
displayed instead of some of them - but it has nothing to do with wine
fonts or X fonts, because all fonts in CS are bitmap files located
somewhere in the valve folder.

I think the only thing in the config that matters in this case is this:

[x11drv]
"ScreenDepth" = "16"
"Managed" = "N"
"Desktop" = "1024x768"
"UseDGA" = "Y"
"UseXVidMode" = "Y"
"UseTakeFocus" = "Y"
"DXGrab" = "N"
"DesktopDoubleBuffered" = "Y"

But in fact I'm not sure all fonts are displayed fine with this. CS
launches with virtually any settings here - that's what I'm sure of.

I know about http://cedega.firepipe.net/ (and btw, Cedega is free
without its copy-protection extensions), but it seems that wine is
still much easier to set up on BSD than Cedega.

I have never paid for a piece of software in my life (except for
donations to some open-source projects), but I'm ready to give the
guys $15 if they cure me of dependancy from windows. [I was also going
to buy OSS sound drivers as they stated support for SoundMax, but I
downloaded a trial - and SoundMax wasn't in the list of FreeBSD
drivers, what a pity].

Yep, there are many great games that run smoothly on FreeBSD without
any tribal dances. I've been enjoying Nexuiz for the last few days.
But I really want to get CS1.5 going - it's not just a game for me,
it's a place where I can regularly meet my friends :-)

Andrew P.