jason wrote:
I checked the links and saw no dmesg or drive models for all drives.  I
can tell you UDMA 133 was not an official spec, a least at first.  It
was a maxtor only thing, and not all chipsets handled it.  Basically
maxtor tightened the timings on the ide cable signals to squence extra
data.  If you have new and old drives, plus different brands I would not
expect to run at 133 speeds.  I don't care to look it up now, but you
may want to find out if any other drive manufactures support the 133
spec today.  Also there are load and signal degregation issues with to
think about with longer cables.  If you have a full tower case with the
longest cables you can buy you won't get max speeds even at the 133
setting.  If you know someone whos works in a pc rpair shop you could
ask them what cable length does to drive speeds.  I am told if you want
to copy drives for customers you want to get a good cable, but only with
1 device per cable and get it as short as possible.  A 2 inch cable will
dramatically shorten the time to copy whole drives compared to a 16 inch
cable.

Well now I can't even get two drives on the same channel to mount together. If one is mounted and I try to mount the other one on the same channel, the other gets immediate DMA_READ problems and then failures. This is trying two brand new drives with brand new cables.

If I eliminate one of the drives and run one on each channel, they all work fine together. I'm not sure if that rc.local trick that was suggested would work now. I don't know if drives get mounted before rc.local would get executed or not.

Going to have to bring back my thread on the errors.

-Mark