Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

Now "host", "dig", and "nslookup" work OK, even without an
/etc/resolv.conf file.  But sendmail seems to need the later.
(It just has "nameserver 127.0.0.1".)

[...]

Mozilla apparently doesn't even use my local DNS as it still hangs.
(I must admit that I've never checked my caching DNS's cache.)
Mozilla will use resolve.conf, if it is there. It will also cache answers for a long time and requires restarting if you, say, add a host to /etc/hosts.

I missed the beginiing of the thread, but why would you want to run without /etc/resolv.conf?

--Alex