Simon Morgan wrote:
When my system boots it freezes for an extremely long time at a certain
point in the boot process. Hitting CTRL-C at this point I'm informed
that the loading of sendmail has been cancelled which obviously indicates
that it's what is responsible.

Indeed.

Looking into the issue I've seen a number of people experiencing the same
problem and being told to fix their DNS setup. The machine that sendmail
is running on has an internet routable IP that resolves to a hostname:

host 82.71.120.75

75.120.71.82.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
82-71-120-75.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk.

but the hostname I have set is "fake" and resolves to nothing:

hostname

naboo.localdomain

You really, really want to give your machine a real hostname, which is in the DNS, reverses properly, and has MX records for the domains it handles mail for set up, if you want to run sendmail and do mail correctly.

If you are only relaying mail to another smart host which will do all of your relaying for you (commonly your ISP's SMTP server will do so), and you do not need sendmail to do DNS lookups, consider FEATURE(nocanonify).

--
-Chuck