Roland Smith wrote:
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 01:39:25PM -0500, Mark Kane wrote:

Wow, that would be really nice. I notice whenever I compress something like a backup of my Thunderbird Inbox files (several hundred megs) in bzip2 format it goes nowhere near 100% or even 90% CPU usage. The problems I am talking about occur even when CPU usage is real low as well. :-\

Hmm, if bzip2 can't saturate the CPU, I would say it's probably waiting
for disk reads/writes.

The drives I was trying to compress from/to are both brand new 200GB Maxtor 7200RPM ATA133 drives. Maybe that has something to do with the bad controller on this series of boards.

<snip>

  29  ??  WL     1:35.00 [irq19: skc0 atapci2]

It looks like one of your disk controllers is sharing an interrupt with
another device (network card? can't find a skc device, only sk). That
might have something to do with your problem. Try disabling that device,
and see if your troubles disappear. If so, you could try to add
a device hint to have the skc device use another free interrupt
line. See device.hints(5).

Looks like it is the network card. Would disabling that in the BIOS mess anything up in FreeBSD? With it disabled I couldn't test the streaming, but could try playing files.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~]% dmesg | grep sk
skc0: <Marvell Gigabit Ethernet> port 0x9c00-0x9cff mem 0xfb008000-0xfb00bfff irq 19 at device 11.0 on pci2
skc0: Marvell Yukon Lite Gigabit Ethernet rev. A3(0x7)
sk0: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0
sk0: Ethernet address: 00:0f:ea:4f:83:8b

I'm also compiling STABLE on that other 5.4-RELEASE i386 machine that had the same problems while I was using it for that month. I'm going to see if that helps that machine out any. Here is the IRQ output from that machine:

   12  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq1: atkbd0]
   13  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq3: sio1]
   14  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq4: sio0]
   15  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq5:]
   16  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq6: fdc0]
   17  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq7: ppc0]
   18  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq8: rtc]
   19  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq9: acpi0]
   20  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq10:]
   21  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq11:]
   22  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq12: psm0]
   23  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq13:]
   24  ??  WL     0:01.94 [irq14: ata0]
   25  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq15: ata1]
   26  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq16:]
   27  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq17:]
   28  ??  WL     0:19.72 [irq18: rl0]
   29  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq19:]
   30  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq20:]
   31  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq21: uhci0 uhci1+]
   32  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq22: pcm0]
   33  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq23:]
   34  ??  WL     0:00.00 [irq0: clk]

-Mark