[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:16:55 +0200
Armin Pirkovitsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 I wonder whether anyone here can help me with a little problem:
I just bought a notebook with a VIA VT 6421 sata controller and a Samsung HM080JI sata harddisk. The controller is recognized with 6.0 B3 but it can't identify the harddisk - i get the following error:

unknown: timeout waiting to issue command
unknown: error issueing ATA_IDENTIFY command
unknown: timeout waiting to issue command
unknown: error issueing ATA_IDENTIFY command

not really an answer to your question, but.. i'm using 6.0-BETA3 here
with basically the same controller and a SATA maxtor disc (and 1
IDE-disc + 2 dvd-drives) without problems :

pciconf -lv|grep SATA
    device   = 'VT8237  VT6410 SATA RAID Controller'

that's a diffrent one...

$ dmesg |grep ad6
ad6: 190782MB <Maxtor 6B200M0 BANC1980> at ata3-master SATA150

again a diffrent piece of hardware :p

are there possible BIOS-options for the SATA on your machine ?

nope, nothing in bios about it (but the preinstalled windows works)

--
Armin Pirkovitsch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]