Vizion wrote:
Hi

I need to install a community forum system running in a apache/freebsd environment. Any software suggestions ideas and or experiences to share?

All contributions appreciated

david

SMF (Simple Machines Forum) is by far the best free one I have come across. It has tons of features out of the box, a helpful community, and a nice staff.

http://www.simplemachines.org

I don't think vBulletin is worth the money. After trying SMF I am kicking myself for purchasing the vB license a year or two ago. SMF also has the nice database based post read tracking, something that vBulletin still doesn't even have yet (except in their new 3.5 betas I think). Not to mention it's 100% free and always will be. vBulletin only gives you a years worth of updates, and mine expired right before they released tons of new bug fixes.

Give it a try. The SMF 1.1 Beta 3 is pretty stable too, and has tons of new features. :)

-Mark