On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:14:50PM -0500, Greg Barniskis wrote:
> Tim Kellers wrote:
> >
> >On Monday 29 August 2005 01:20 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >>    I first set up mailman (with its web automation) last
> >>    December.  When I recently tried to send a test message
> >>    to my list, mailman spitout the old "reset configure with
> >>    daemon" gid. Which failed.  Eventually I reinstalled from
> >>    scratch.  Now, using lynx and "www.thought.org/mainman"
> >>    I'm getting:
> >>

> >>                                  Forbidden
> >>
> >>  You don't have permission to access /mailman/ on this server.
> [snip]
>

> >Does /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin have permissions that look like this?
> >
> ># ls -la /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin
> >total 200
> >drwxrwsr-x   2 root     mailman    512 Apr 25 14:17 .
> >drwxrwsr-x  20 mailman  mailman    512 Apr 25 14:16 ..
> >-rwxr-sr-x   1 root     mailman  17730 Apr 25 14:17 admin
> >-rwxr-sr-x   1 root     mailman  17734 Apr 25 14:17 admindb
> >
> >Tim
>
> Even with correct permissions, I think you get 403 if you ask for
> /mailman/ by itself, unless your Apache config allows automatic
> directory indexing, which of course it ought not on cgi-bin stuff.
>
> Try accessing some /mailman/<component>, e.g. /mailman/listinfo, and
> not just /mailman/ by itself.
>
> --
> Greg Barniskis, Computer Systems Integrator
> South Central Library System (SCLS)
> Library Interchange Network (LINK)
> <gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348

        YES!  This was the first time I've *not* tryed
        didn't expect the 403 err.

        Thanks much, both of you.  One more thing that may
        save me more time: Which text and html files can I
        edit (carefully), to insert the instruvtions to
        "Unsubscribe" by sending a simple email?  The
        -questions list has this as a footer.

        My users/subscribers will be sharp, but probably
        not geek-savvy.

        thanks again,

        gary

--