Thanks, the answer was just too simple for me to figure it out by myself :)

Rein

Ewald Jenisch wrote:

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 02:41:45PM +0300, Rein Kadastik wrote:
Excuse me for a silly question, but what the hell is UP? I know, what is IP, I know how ifconfig works, but wtf is UP?

UP is the state of the interface. You can set an IF up/down to
enable/disable the IF. Current state of an interface can be seen with
ifconfig, e.g.

fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
                ^^

Normally an interface is automatically taken up when you give it an
IP-address.

-ewald

http://www.eset.com