Rein Kadastik wrote:

OK got again some extremely strange testing results.

If there is anywhere in the first token (the length does not matter) one of the following charakters: t, u, v, w, x, y, the transformation fails. Note that with z it works and with a-s it works also.

-- Rein

Well I have one guess here. In estonian alphabet, the z comes immediately after s and before t. So as the regex orders [a-z] the characters t, u, v, w, x, y are left out

How to order the sed to use english alphabet?

Rein

Well, My guess was right. I have a following line in the /etc/profile:

export LANG=et_EE.ISO8859-15

After I expoerted LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1, the sed started to work.

I did not thought that LANG parameter will also alter the alfabet ant therefore the exppression [a-z] does not cover the full alphabet anymore.

Rein