What is odd is that the machine booted FreeBSD perfectly at least 5-6 times before I ran into the weird "ps" error and then it would not boot. I still need to figure out what caused the problem in the first place.

For the moment, is there a way to reinstall just the core 5.4 kernel distribution files, but not anything else? Is it legitimate to do a recursive copy of all the boot files on the CD, ie: /dist/boot to the twed1s1a slice's /boot directory. Then I do the boot0cfg and disklabel command and then fixes any boot manager config files. Would that work?

Fred.

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

On 2005-09-06 19:34, "Frederick N. Brier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
More info.  If I "ls" either before or after setting the bootpath or
module_path environment variables, the response is: "open '/' failed:
no such file or directory".  The "load kernel" command returns: "can't
file 'kernel'".  Do I need to load a module so that the 3Ware drive
"twe" is loaded?  The loaddev and currdev variables are both set to
"disk1s1a:" Thank you again.

Hmmm, isn't it a job of the system BIOS to present a "disk" from the twe
controller?  Not sure why this would fail; I haven't used twe so far.