Deepak Naidu sat at his 'puter and typed on 9/8/2005 16:55:

Hey Subhro thanx for the info.  I used Reiserfs in
linux, bcos its reads and writes smaller files faster
like file size of 1-5 Mb, basically for mailing
solution. I dont know where iam wrong.
I have read regarding XFS, in freebsd any info ?.
So ok FreeBSD supports UFS1/2, dos, fat, fat32, ext2
reiserfs read only, ok cool...

So how do i enable Reiserfs in kernel, and do the
partion at install time...

http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/xfs/index.html
XFS is supported in FBSD. For infomration regarding enabling various stuff in the kernel have a look at /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES. BTW, your mail client incorrectly marks the replies. Why dont u use thunderbird? Its a really cool client IMHO. Also send a cc to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks
S.

--- Subhro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Deepak Naidu sat at his 'puter and typed on 9/8/2005
15:16:

Hi,

Hello :-),

 I am trying to migrate my mail servers from
Fedora
core 3 to FreeBSD 5.4, due to performance issue.
Cool! Go for it :-)

1)Which is the suitable filesystem ie UFS2, Ext2
etc...
for mailing server. I used raiserfs in linux.
Which
File System's are supported in FreeBSD 5.4 and
which
is stable for mailing system.  How do i enable them
in
kernel.

The native filesystem for FreeBSD 5.x and above is
UFS2 which performs
exceptionally well IMHO. Reiserfs also has support
in FBSD although
readonly only. Just something off topic, did you
have any reasons for
using ReiserFS in Linux and not use EXT2/3?

2)How to i find memory, cpu information in freebsd,
apart from TOP. In linux we have free and
/pro/cpuinfo.  I dont see any files under /proc

what information do you need that top does not
provide? You can try
sysctl -a | more and analyse all the kernel runtime
variables.

3) Is SMP support enabled in FreeBSD 5.4, or should
recompile the kernel for the support(what kernel
arguments should I use).

No SMP by default is not there in the stock kernel.
However you can boot
up your SMP box with the stock kernel and cimpile
SMP support in it.
Refer to the handbook for the kernel parameters.
Also have a look at /usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf/GENERIC
and
/usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf/NOTES for examples where
<arch> is your
architecture (i386,amd64,etc)

Welcome to the world of FreeBSD.

Thanks
S.

--

                 |                 Subhro Sankha Kar
     \   /      |       GSM: +919831064613  Egold:
2078232
      \./        |    MSN:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  --  Yahoo:
subhro82
     (0Y0)       |    ICQ: 203567534         --  AIM:
bsdboy1982

___________________________________________________________ Does your mail provider give you FREE antivirus protection? Get Yahoo! Mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com