Matt Juszczak wrote:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /hd2 was not properly dismounted
ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903 ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903 ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903 ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903 ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903

I had this problem too. (Look in the current archive, in september, for a thread called "Problem with deleting files"
I was told to shutdown dma with atacontrol, and fsck -f
However, I had no chance to test it.
I just copied everything I needed, made a newfs, reinstalled the system (that's fast as you have all your config files), and today, it's working fine, again. (I previously tried to use the copy of the /usr I had made, but I experienced lots of problem with X. However, you may try to do it)
If you are able to backup, I think that it's a good solution.

But smartctl (smart test) shows drive failure in the short test? Isn't that internal to the drive?

Also, if this is the case, could this just be bad luck of two drives in a row? Or could something be wrong with my hardware causing these drives to die? (controller?)

-Matt

Did you actually tried the dma trick with atacontrol ?

Concerning dmesg : atapci0: <VIA 8235 UDMA133 controller> port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xdc00-0xdc0f at device 17.1 on pci0
It is also supported by ata(4)

I first thought the error occured due to high temperatures, but I doubt it is the right explanation. Although I cannot figure out a better explanation.

--
grégory