Gareth Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I have a directory I want to backup at /usr/dir_a/dir_b.
I want to back the content of this dir to /usr/backups/dir_b
so I tried the following:

Lowell Gilbert clarified:

[This essentially adds up to doing # tar -cf foo.tar $target_path and then immediately # tar -uvf foo.tar $target_path
shows an update.]

Hrrmph.  Looks like the pathname rewrite (stripping leading '/')
is getting done too late, so that the wrong filenames are
being compared.

Please check that the following does work (without the leading '/'):

   tar -cf foo.tar usr/dir_a/dir_b
   tar -uvf foo.tar usr/dir_a/dir_b

Assuming that works correctly, I know where the mistake is;
I'll have a tentative patch for you to try in a couple of hours.

Tim Kientzle