stan wrote:
On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 07:31:17PM -0700, Micah wrote:

stan wrote:

I'm trying to use tighvnc to "share" a desktop with a friend,
for educational purposes.

I've been able to run vncserver on my local machine, and connect to it with vncviewer. I've also been able to ssh to his
machine (with X forwarding turned on) and do the same thing, but
this is really slow.

In the case of his FreebSD machine I just got the simple session
that xstart produces.

How can I star vncserver on his FreebSD machine, such that I get
a full blown KDE desktop? This is BTW what he gets when he logs in
via kdm. Is there a way to share an already running
X session with vnc? Or do I have to start a new session using vncserver?

KDE provides a VNC server that allows you to connect to an already running KDE session. From the KDE control center select "Internet & Network" --> "Desktop Sharing". Adjust the settings to your liking. I've had keyboard problems with it when connecting from the RealVNC client (massively repeated characters making it impossible to type anything).

I just looked on his machine, which is running KDE version 3.4.2, and I can't
find that choice in his control center. Now I _do_ see it on a machine
I have here that is runnig KDE version 3.3.2. His machine machine is
FreebSD 4.11 STABLE, and the machine I happen to have KDE on is Debian.

Could it be in a different place on his?

Make sure he has kdenetwork installed (pkg_info kdenetwork\*). If he has kdenetwork try running krfb from a command prompt.

Later
Micah