-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: i386 on AMD64 architecture
Date:   Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:10:35 -0700
From:   Graham North <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     Micah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks again.
Graphics is not a priority for my desktop applications - as long as it has something reasonable for desktop apps. I am also happy to use a standalone NIC for the time being (and have a spare:--)) I am in the due diligence mode for the hardware at the moment. It is actually tough finding what I want because ideally my preference would be an matx form factor to fit in a small case. All the matx boards which I have looked at so far seem to have k8m800 Northbridge which does not seem to be well supported in BSD - somebody please put me right if I am wrong..!! or else nvidia, or sis760 - none of these seem to be solid with BSD. So that leaves the k8T800 or K8T890.

If someone knows of a good 754 or 939 micro atx board which works well on Freebsd then please let me know. I am choosing the 64 architecture because later in its life I hope to retire this board to a light duty server and would like the Cool 'n Quiet features of the A64 architecture.

Graham/

Micah wrote:

Graham North wrote:

Thanks Micah!

Which version of FBSD are you using? Your choice of MB looks pretty solid. Can you recommend a good, supported (and cheap) video card as the A8V-E does not seem to have video.
Thanks again, Graham/

I'm using 5.4-RELEASE-p7 for the i386 install and 5.4-RELEASE for the AMD64 install. As for video, no particular recommendation. I have an ATI X300 SE by MSI. It's a cheap ($60) PCI-EX card. Unfortunately it has no graphics acceleration under FreeBSD/XORG so I might as well have bought a cheaper PCI card. :) Other caveats: I've read that the onboard NIC isn't compatible yet and I haven't tried the onboard wifi or sata since I don't have any equipment to test them with. I saw some messages in one of the freebsd lists that indicates /someone/ is working on the NIC though.

Later,
Micah

Micah wrote:

Graham North wrote:

It is my understanding that the AMD 64 family supports 32-bit i386 code completely...can someone confirm this.

I would like to stay with 32 bit for the time being but run it on a new MB using an AMD64 architecture. Should I therefore be simply installing an i386 iso as though it is on an Intel machine? Will the i386 iso then have full support for AMD specific drivers such as the k8t800? I noticed from this link http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html THAT the the VIA K8T800 and K8T890 seem to be reasonably supported whereas not many other current AMD Northbridges are (note however that this support is for AMD64 iso).

Any pearls of wisdom much appreciated. No I do not wish to install as 64 bit at this time...
Thanks, Graham/

You'll probably get a lot of responses on this one. I'm currently running the i386 FreeBSD on an Ahtlon 64 as my desktop. I also have the 64 bit installed on a seperate partition to experiment with. I have an A8V-E mobo that has the K8T890. Works just fine except an occasional glitch while booting freezes the system. I've read it's an ACPI thing, but since I rarely reboot I've not bothered to disable ACPI.

Later,
Micah

--
Kindness can be infectious - try it.