Hi,

I just installed Freebsd on a Dell Latitude C600 with 14" SXGA screen.  It
needs to be on all the time so I need a way of turning the screen off.

I have played with sysctl hw.acpi.* thingies to get it to suspend.  But none
of the power states only turn the screen off.

I want to get DPMS working so I can do  "xset dpms force off" but it doesn't
work.  Nothing happens and I get no console output.  Are there any log
files?

"xset q" in a console in KDE prints:

Keyboard Control:

  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000

  auto repeat delay:  250    repeat rate:  30

  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf

                        fadfffdfffdfe5ef

                        ffffffffffffffff

                        ffffffffffffffff

  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100

Pointer Control:

  acceleration:  26/10    threshold:  4

Screen Saver:

  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes

  timeout:  0    cycle:  600

Colors:

  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215

Font Path:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,/usr/X11R6/lib/
X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/10
0dpi/

Bug Mode: compatibility mode is enabled

DPMS (Energy Star):

  Standby: 60    Suspend: 60    Off: 60

  DPMS is Enabled

  Monitor is On

File paths:

  Config file:  /etc/X11/xorg.conf

  Modules path: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules

  Log file:     /var/log/Xorg.0.log

"xset q" in ctrl+alt F2 console while kde and x are loaded prints:

xset:  unable to open display ""

I have tried adding Option "DPMS" to my monitor section in the xorg.conf

Is there anyway to make DPMS work or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks

Paul