On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:52:55 +0300, James Heck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a toshiba satelite a25 laptop running windows xp right now
pentium 3 with 512mb ram, with 40 gb unpartitioned space (35 or so has
been reserved for bsd). I made 3 .iso's from nero, taken from the files
on www.freebsd.org. None of them allow me to actually load into the
install portion of the process. 1 or 2 seconds after bsd tries to load,
and a bunch of text shows up, it comes to this: "ata0: channel #0 on
atapci0." When this comes up, the cd in the drive stops spinning and
nothing else happens- i am forced to reboot.

I have brief experiences with mandrake 10, but im mostly familiar with
windows. I cant wait to get into bsd so if you guys have any input on
this issue, please let me know. and thanks alot!

James

Try to boot up with ACPI disabled and/or DMA off, or booting in Safe mode.