Reinhard Weismann wrote:

does anybody know where to report broken ports, or, where to get
information if/why a port currently is broken.

From your description I am not at all sure that the port is broken in this case. But since you asked...

If you are sure that the port really is broken, you should first see whether somebody has already noted this, by going to http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html and searching for existing reports on a particular port. You can also look at the archive of freebsd-ports mailing list by going to http://www.freebsd.org/search/search.html#mailinglists

FreeBSD has a large and active user community, so real port breakage is usually found very fast and by the time you notice it, it's very likely that the problem has already been found and even fixed. Cvsupping your ports tree and trying to build the port again is often a quick fix to port build problems.

If you dont see any existing reports on your problem AND YOU ARE STILL SURE THAT IT IS ACTUALLY A PROBLEM WITH THE PORT then it's time to submit a bug report at http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html

in this case on my 5.4-RELEASE-p6 (i386) installations, the port mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin (p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0) does not compile, i.e. i get [..]
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
*** Error code 139
[..]

Does this happen only to this port? Can you build other ports successfully? Can you successfully run 'make buildworld'?

The reason I'm asking is that segmentation faults are often caused by failing hardware (faulty memory chip, overheating CPU etc). In your case, hardware fault is even more likely since you noticed yourself that the port builds successfully on another machine.

--
Toomas Aas