My freebsd 4.11 system has been subjected to a power failure and seems to have many disk errors something about soft updates and not being able to read certain sectors it comes up with the standard single user pick your shell command and tells me to run fsck manually. I have run it several times but the system keeps comming with ad0s4 marked dirty which is my /usr partition. Sometimes i get a resetting device ata0 timeout error. What should i do of course i have no current backups for this system and the most important thing is retrieving my users data it would be great if i could get the system to boot up but if i have to reinstall no biggy as long as i can get most of my data back.

ps  i promise to do remote backups nightly for the rest of my life.

--
Computer King/CaNMail

http://www.computerking.ca     http://www.canmail.org

Sales, Service, and Hosting
Email, Data, and Web Packages
Ask about web design specials

Affiliates
http://www.computerking.ca/pages/links/affiliates/affiliates.htm

--

If you eat a live frog in the morning, nothing worse will happen to either of
you for the rest of the day.