On Oct 10, 2005, at 7:01 AM, Micah wrote:

Andrew P. wrote:

We've got some mostly idle, but powerful sparc64
servers running Solaris 9/10, as well as a host of
Linux servers (x86 and x86_64). Of course, all the
real work is done on a pack of FreeBSD boxes :-)
Some days ago I started using ccache and distcc,
and I really love these tools. Now I want to get the
Solaris and Linux servers to do something useful
and compile world, kernels and ports for the
FreeBSD boxes. Is there a somewhat
comprehensive guide to this? Can somebody
share his experience with me? I'm now looking
into crosstool how-to's, but I have no knowledge
of gcc intrinsics, and some points are very hard
for me to understand.
Thanks,
Andrew P.

Have you looked at http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/ projects/other/distcc-31.0.81/linuxdoc/html/distcc-5.html It hints that you need to install a gcc that was built for your target system on all machines that you're using. I think distcc handles library inconsitencies for you (at least it claims that you need not have the same libraries installed on all machines).

HTH,
Micah

IIRC, I think that the libraries are needed, but are semi- modular in the sense that all that you need to do is grab the libs and make sure your compiler is equivalent (ie no mixing gcc with cc, etc), and include the libs in your compilation. Not sure how you are going to grab the libs for FreeBSD though without possibly CVSup'ing the source, which I'm not saying is impossible-just a minute pain. So, in essence I may have been a bit too pessimistic about the task. I didn't really get into the subject of distcc though I suppose and should have read a bit more in-depth articles earlier. I was just exploring instruction sets for compiling via the similar architecture for a LAN distcc farm, but gave up after realizing there were far too many clients with differing archs from my own, and the benefit wasn't worth my time since it was all for charity.
-Garrett