Colin Percival wrote:
Andrew P. wrote:

On 10/6/05, Mikael Backman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I use Portupgrade to install apps every now and then.
How often should I cvsup the ports?

If you like being up-to-date, you should consider
using portsnap, which is much more efficient than
cvsup. You can update every other couple of hours
then - and you'll probably waste less bandwidth
in a week than you would with cvsup in one run.

Portsnap certainly is more efficient than cvsup for
frequent updating, but for most people, updating the
ports tree every 2 hours is rather pointless.  On my
6.0-beta systems, I have a nightly cron job which runs

  portsnap -I cron update && pkg_version -vIL=

colin,
what is this "I" parameter to pkg_version supposed to be?
i don't seem to have it here on 5.4R.
cheers,
martin

which downloads updates, builds new ports INDEX files,
and emails me a list of installed packages which are
out of date.

When I get such an email, I log into the system and run

  portsnap update && portupgrade -a

which updates the ports tree and rebuilds the installed
packages which are out of date.

Between FreeBSD Update, portsnap, and portupgrade, I
doubt I spend more than half an hour per month keeping
each system up to date.

Colin Percival