Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:28:56PM +0300, Toomas Aas wrote:

Hello!

With FreeBSD 5.3, several devices (for example: ips, ahc, atkbd) had a note similar to this in dmesg:

ips0: <IBM ServeRAID Adapter> port 0x2000-0x20ff mem
        0xfeb00000-0xfebfffff irq 9 at device 1.0 on pci0
ips0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

With FreeBSD 5.4, the [GIANT-LOCKED] message no longer appears.

Does that mean that Giant lock has been removed from all those drivers, or is the message simply not printed?

Do you still see it on some other drivers?  If so, the former.

grep -i giant /var/run/dmesg.boot comes up blank on all my FreeBSD 5.4 machines: the two RELENG_5_4 servers I've just upgraded and my home RELENG_5 box.

---
... I spilled spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.