On Oct 21, 2005, at 4:12 PM, RW wrote:
From a KDE Root console, I changed a directory's permissions to 770 and added my account to it's group with pw. In another console, under my own account, I tried to cd into the directory and failed, no gui application could access the directory either. pw showed I was a member of the group. I logged in though a virtual terminal, under the same account, and was able to cd to the directory. And once I restarted the KDE session from KDM, the problem went
away.

Is this normal behaviour? Is there any way around it?

This is more-or-less normal behavior. When you change authentication information like adding yourself to a group, the existing processes you were running do not gain new privileges, but any new processes you start up should.

You could have re-execed your shell, or restarted KDE as you did.

--
-Chuck