Eric Schuele wrote:
Shelby Westman wrote:

Hello, all,

I am a relatively new freeBSD user. The problem I describe below happens on
both a 5.4 install and a 6.0 RC1 install.

Right after installing the OS, I enable ntpd in rc.conf, and setup a simple

Are you intending on running an NTP daemon? Or are you just trying to sync your clock with an NTP source? If the later, try adding the following to your rc.conf:

ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpdate_flags="<your_fav_ntp_server_here>"

FWIW... after checking the man pages, I think ntpdate is being deprecated some time in the near future.

ntpd should be used.  So here is what I now have in my rc.conf:

ntpd_enable="YES"
ntpd_flags="-q"

/etc/ntp.conf contains exactly one line:

server north-america.pool.ntp.org

Works fine.

Also... another thought. You might try disabling IPv6 unless you need it. (remove 'options INET6' from kernconf)

HTH.

config file in /etc/ntp.conf. When I reboot, I get this message:

Oct 22 10:40:57 alter ntpd[392]: ntpd 4.2.0-a Sun Oct 9 18:33:33 UTC 2005
(1)
Oct 22 10:40:57 alter ntpd[392]: bind() fd 6, family 28, port 123, addr
fe80:1::202:55ff:fe58:2957, in6_is_addr_multicast=0 flags=0 fails: Can't
assign requested address

Then ntpd does not synchronize the time. I set the clock manually (using
date) five minutes ahead to check and in fact it does not get adjusted.

I have tried all sorts of things. I tried assigning numeric addresses rather
than host names in the config file. I tried enabling ipv6 in sysinstall.
This machine does have a good route to the internet - I can use nslookup to
resolve host names, so I know the networking is working.

Below I have quoted the ntp.conf. The log file is empty - nothing is being
written there.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am stumped... thanks for your help.

Shelby

__________________

config file as it stands now...

logfile /var/log/ntpd.log