On Oct 24, 2005, at 10:47 PM, Kris Anderson wrote:

Hey folks,

I'm getting off cable (Comcast and 6 megabits) and
either looking at Qwest DSL w/MSN premium or a service
called Clear Wire (Wireless internet).

I'm a bit baffled because Qwest says they have a deal
that I could get DSL for $19.99 a month for a year. Of
course the fine prints MSN is the ISP so forth and so
on.

[snip]

How I had it previously was Comcast's modem to
wireless router (Linksys WRT-54G), a little Linksys
switch, FreeBSD and misc. Windows computers happily
sharing the connection.

Just to confirm, my guess is that this would not be
the service to go with since I would love to have my
spiffy Linksys Router (WRT-54G) hook to the DSL. And
to the WR54G the usual network systems of FreeBSD, and
misc Windows computers.

If the above isn't going to work then I'm stuck with a
different bundle (a few bucks more) that would allow
me to do the same thing. I hope. I'm not familiar with
the way in which DSL does its connectivity thing.
Okay, I saw in a previous question that PPoE is needed
with DSL. And I noticed that I could set my WRT54G to
utilize PPoE, so maybe MSN ISP & Qwest service will
work?

So am I right in still thinking that with MSN as the
ISP my setup it isn't going to be FreeBSD friendly and
that my spiffy little Comcast setup isn't going to
work with MSN as the ISP?

Most appreciated. Gah, that means I'm probably not
going to be needing my little WRT-54G router then. :~(

Hope I wasn't to confusiong there.

Your FreeBSD system will work fine. You login credentials get entered into the DSL router/modem. If you want to do some webhosting, etc out of your home, spend the extra money and utilize a *real* ISP. Even Qwest.net supports static IP addresses (up to a /26).

HTH