Im sure that this problem has been solved before but looking through
  all the other posts i cant seem to find any information about it.

  i just installed freebsd 5.4 i386 on my old ibm thinkpad. now that im
  starting to get familiar with this new operating system i want to be
  able to access the internet but it will not connect. I have narrowed
  the problem down to a message which i get

  pccard1: Card has no functions!

  cbb1:PC Card card activation failed

  my ethernet card is a 3com megahertz 10Mbps lan 3cxe589et

  if you could help me I would appreciate it.