Vladimir Dvorak wrote:

Hello,

I have a problem with network card. From time to time kernel says

sk0: watchdog timeout

It has (probably) random behavior.

I use FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p8, motherboard is ASUS A8V Deluxe (AMD64,
Athlon64XP 3200+) and internal network card from pciconf -v -l

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:10:0: class=0x020000 card=0x811a1043 chip=0x432011ab rev=0x13
hdr=0x00
   vendor   = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
   device   = '88E8001 Gigabit 32-bit Ethernet Controller with
Integrated PHY'
   class    = network

I have the same motherboard and ethernet chipset, and don't have these problems, so *maybe* there's some hardware problem with yours, or maybe I just don't load the ethernet as much.

However, I have had numerous ethernet chips over the years which produced these errors every now and again, and I have always safely ignored them. Run some stress tests before you ship the machine, but if you get decent(*) performance then I'd just ship it without being concerned.

--Alex

(*) Decent, is of course not likely to be Gigabit! Try the nttcp port for measuring the performance you get; ftp performance will likely be limited by disk-read; and ssh is just rubbish on fast networks unless you install ssh-hpn port which fixes some problems and also adds the ability to not encrypt the data transfer (just the authentication) which is useful on closed-ish networks.