--On Wednesday, November 02, 2005 21:17:27 -0700 "Moffatt, Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 It is a reserved word from the DOS days (like "prn")  I think it stands
for "console"

Actually, you can't create a folder named:

CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7,
COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9

I have seen folders with those names. The "taggers" like to use them when they break in to Windoze boxes, because they're a PITA to get rid of, unless you know how.

It's just not possible to create folders with those names the "normal" way. *Anything* is possible on *any* OS if you know what you're doing and how to get around the restrictions that are in place.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member