On 11/6/05, Edwin D. Vinas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I need your help please.
> On my personal FreeBSD server connected to an ISP with static IP address,
> I'm planning to setup several websites with their own sub-domains from my
> main domain as shown below. I just want to know some answers to my questions
> before I start.
>  Main domain: www.exampledomain.ph <http://www.exampledomain.ph>
> Sub-domains:
> sub1.exampledomain.ph <http://sub1.exampledomain.ph>
>  sub2.exampledomain.ph <http://sub2.exampledomain.ph>
>  sub3.exampledomain.ph <http://sub3.exampledomain.ph>
>  I want to use BIND together with my Apache virtual hosting in one single
> FreeBSD machine.
>  These are my questions:
> 1) Is it correct that I only need to register or pay for the main domain?

Yep.

> 2) Is it correct that through my local DNS server, I can add sub hosts (sub1
> to sub3) without anymore registering those sub domains and pay for them in
> my main domain provider?

It's kinda the same as the first one. Yep.

> 3) Provided that I already have successfully setup my local DNS server,
> Apache virtual hosting and main domain activated, is it straightforward that
> I can already access the sub domains (i.e., websites) from the Internet?

It's pretty straightforward, but not implicit. You
need to explicitly setup a wildcard subdomain.

> 4) Do I need to register sub1, sub2 and sub3 in any external domain
> provider?

Not if you want to.

> 5) Can you provide some sample configs if you are already doing this setup?

Here's a dump from my xname.org account:

csme.ru.                260000  IN      SOA     ns0.xname.org.
infofarmer.mail.ru. 2005072201
261000 261000 604800 300
csme.ru.                260000  IN      NS      ns0.xname.org.
csme.ru.                260000  IN      NS      ns1.xname.org.
csme.ru.                260000  IN      A       193.233.5.13
csme.ru.                260000  IN      MX      10 csme.ru.
*.csme.ru.              260000  IN      CNAME   csme.ru.
cs.csme.ru.             260000  IN      CNAME   csme.ru.
css.csme.ru.            260000  IN      CNAME   csme.ru.
mx.csme.ru.             260000  IN      CNAME   csme.ru.
old.csme.ru.            260000  IN      CNAME   killme.ru.
sat.csme.ru.            260000  IN      CNAME   infofarmer.dyndns.org.
source.csme.ru.         260000  IN      CNAME   csme.ru.
www.csme.ru.            260000  IN      CNAME   csme.ru.
zone.csme.ru.           260000  IN      NS      infofarmer.dyndns.org.