ross wrote:

My /usr partition is to small for some of the larger programs (openoffice.org, jdk, etc) and I want to move my ports tree to a harddrive with more space. can I just change the line in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf that says "ENV['PORTSDIR'] ||= '/usr/ports'" to "ENV['PORTSDIR'] ||= '/mybigfatharddrive/ports'"?

Will all the pkg tools such as portsnap, portupgrade, and portversion continue to function properly? will I have to edit any other config files before this will work seemlessly?

Move the tree then make a symlink from /usr/ports to your new dir. That's guaranteed to work. You could also try just moving the distfiles subdir and symlinking it, since that really takes the space (apart from building). Without knowing how little space you have, it's hard to know if that will be good enough.

Just changing the ENV in pkgtools.conf will only work for tools which use it, which I don't think includes portsnap. You'd want to set it in your root shell for everything to see it.

Or, for the larger ports just make with WRKDIRPREFIX set to somewhere with lots of space. You can set that is pkgtools.conf per port, assuming you use portupgrade or in make.conf, for every port to use it. I don't like that as for some ports I sometimes need to keep the work subdir hanging around.

See man ports!

--Alex