Mike Loiterman wrote:
This is strange.  When I do:

[11:49:09 root@fat_man: /var]# du -sh
7.0M    .

but when I do:

[11:49:18 root@fat_man: /var]# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a 97M 55M 34M 62% /
/dev/ad0s1f 1.7G 1.2G 403M 75% /usr
/dev/ad0s1e 19M 8.6M 9.2M 48% /var
procfs 4.0K 4.0K 0B 100% /proc

Where are the extra 1.6 megs at?

I thought there must be a stray process running that had a lock on that amount of memory, but I couldn't find anything with top or via ps -aux. I use tripwire everynight to check file consistencies and I believe it's the problem, I can't figure out how or why. Rebooting the server fixes the problem and clears up the missing memory. ???

Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] which is the address I am subscribed with, but since my isp hasn't corrected my reverse dns problem yet, I can't post from that address to *@freebsd.org. Thanks!

Hm,

let me see what my development machine says:

-bash-2.05b# cd /var/www/
-bash-2.05b# du -sh
471M    .
-bash-2.05b# df -h
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a   126M    46M    70M    40%    /
/dev/da0s1e   7.9G   1.4G   5.9G    19%    /usr
/dev/da0s1f   3.9G   268M   3.4G     7%    /var
/dev/da0s1g   5.8G   471M   4.9G     9%    /var/www
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc

Maybe it's because your /var filesystem is really small?
If you can you should try boot in single user mode and test again.
It could help seeing your running processes...

But 1.6 Meg??? To much I think for being cached, isn't it?

Jens