Tried turning deftxkey 1 too, same thing. However when I turn off WEP on my router, I can connect to and ping the router, but I can't get internet...

Matt Emmerton wrote:

Hi,

I have an SMC PCMCIA wireless adapter, model SMCWCB-G, based on an
Atheros 5212 chipset, in a laptop running a fresh install of FreeBSD
6.0-RC1.

The card associates fine, but then fails to send any IP packets in
the air, or at least that's what I presume is going on. I cannot
ping the AP, I cannot get a lease using DHCP, basically the only
thing I can do is associate. I think it does associate because when
I set an invalid wep key, t# Wireless NIC cards
Setting a static IP address does not help.

Any hints on where I might go from here to debug this? I know the
setup should work because in a previous life [1] it Worked With
Windows[TM] (and on the same AP).
If it is using wep, set the weptxkey. I had the same problem when
moving from a laptop with releng_5 to a laptop with releng_6.
I am having this same issue I believe in FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE.  I have a
dwl-g650 "na.b5", h/w ver ":b5", f/w ver :2.54.  I compiled the
following into my kernel:

device wlan # 802.11 support device ath # Atheros
device          ath_hal         # Ath_hal
device          ath_rate_onoe
device          wlan
device          wlan_wep        # WEP support

I type in:

# ifconfig ath0 channel 7 ssid gibsons wepmode on
# ifconfig ath0 weptxkey *****etc.
# ifconfig ath0 up
# ifconfig ath0
ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::213:46ff:fe0f:3f66%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4 ether 00:13:46:0f:3f:66
       media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
       status: associated
       ssid gibsons channel 7 bssid 00:0c:41:a0:2c:46
       authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey UNDEF txpowmax 38 protmode CTS
       bintval 100
# ifconfig ath0 inet 192.168.107.15
# ping 192.168.107.1

I am unable to ping my router. (linksys bewfs42)

It seems like i'm missing something really simple here...anyone able to
help point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

Maybe deftxkey needs to be set?

--
Matt Emmerton