I have a couple web servers running FreeBSD 5.x and need to protect them
against power outages.

These are two simple machines running at home so nothing fancy. Just
some way to do a power down neatly so the shutdown has time to clean up.

What do I need and where can I look for more detailed information.

I use upsmon, from the ports collection. Nothing fancy, and it works only with APC Smart-UPS...but it works great, and the shutdown time-delay is configurable. The Smart-UPS connects to your computer via a serial port.

~Dan