On Nov 19, 2005, at 5:19 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Chad
Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 12:27 PM
To: Free BSD Questions list
Subject: [summary] Apple intel transition (was: Re: Status of
6.0 forproduction systems)

and so most upgrades
will happen on the normal HW upgrade cycle that an particular Mac
user follows.

So, since your the expert on this, what is the "normal HW upgrade cycle"?

Whatever cycle people use to buy new machines. Most people or groups have cycles they follow (even if it is not something they realize they do). For some, there is a written policy. For others it is driven by budgets. For others, when the old machine starts to feel long in the tooth. For a small minority it is every new generation (the early adopters and techno geeks).

I suppose all Mac users follow the same upgrade cycle, huh.

For each person or group it may be different. Some may do it every 18 months, some every 2-3 years, some every 3-4 years.

Chad
most of whose Macs are built from parts from eBay and parts shops and
PC parts [total 3 Macs in the last 3 years -- personal and business
owned], though he does have 3 original purchased Macs from Apple
since 1998 [all business owned], 1 of which has been passed on to
others.

Hmm - so your own upgrade cycle is what, 8 years?  From 1998 to 2005?

???? I upgraded to a G5, because of business and tax reasons. My personal upgrade cycle is when I can afford it. Sometimes it is 2 years, sometimes 4 or 5. Some older machines are still used for side tasks like the original Bondi Blue 233mhz iMac (running OS X now), which is used by the family for email etc. Some older technology based machines (the eBay built ones) are 5 year old motherboards etc with new PC parts because I can get a machine much less expensively than buying a new one and I have a certain need. Like needing to run OS X Server for some customers and not wanting to buy an XServe since the customers are not paying for that.

Or were you gonna keep those original Macs longer than this year?

So, Apple is going to be supporting PPC for another 8 years, then. OK.

Could be. I would guess at least 3-4 years after the last PPC based machine stops being part of Apple's line up. We are at least a year from that point and probably more like 2. That may not quite add up to 8 years but it probably adds up to 5-7 years. We'll see...

Chad

Ted

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC