Dmytro,

  Instructions for updating the ports tree are in the handbook on
freebsd.org

  Please understand that the ports directory tree distributed with the
RELEASE cd's is always out of date.  I never install it when I install
a RELEASE.  I always use cvsup to download the current ports tree
after installation.

I just setup a P4 3.2Ghz system with a gig of ram and mirrored SATA
drives, and I ran the mysql benchmarks on it, and they are quite a
bit faster than any other systems I have.  Please
post mysql benchmarks on your system, or post any other benchmarks
that you think are indicative of kernel slowness?  I will run the same
and
we can compare to see if there's a difference.

Ted