Wojciech Puchar wrote:
i asked the question recently, no answers, but finally did it this way and all worked fine. i shifted my partition left with dd and resized with growfs.

Thanksgiving break may have taken at least some of the reading list population out of regular contact, at least briefly. (Happy turkey day + 2, list. :-)

I'd rather backup and reformat, or just use symlinks, then fool with growfs myself. I've tried it as an experiment, and it seemed to work, but I don't have enough data to really say more than that.

but can bsdlabel be forced to write label with overlapping slices? for temporary operations it will be useful if i know what i'm doing.

I think using "sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16" may help, or some close variant (check the list archives), there is an anti-footshooting mechanism in place which will prevent you from changing the partition table if you have mounted partitions.

Note that you can re-run sysinstall and use the label edittor in there if you
like.

--
-Chuck