On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 10:11:08AM +0100, bsd wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have a little script that I run twice a week that updates my ports
> automatically.
>
> I have quite often errors with the "make index" line because I have a
> refuse file to fasten the process of updating my server.
>
> My question is : can I safely replace the "make index" by the a "make
> fetchindex" ?

Yes, as long as you have internet connectivity.

> What will be the main  differences if I do so ?

'make index' builds the index locally, 'make fetchindex' gets the latest
index from http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/

> What are the risks ?

It will fail if www.FreeBSD.org is unavailable. Looking at the ftp
servers, the index file isn't mirrored.

And the index file might be slightly out of sync with the ports you
cvsupped from a mirror.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.