Bernhard Fischer wrote:
ifconfig_sk0="inet 192.168.1.100 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
netmask 255.255.255.0"

It appears the above hasn't helped me, it still goes down after copying
about 10-15GB of data and I still have to bring the interface down and up
again to regain connectivity. Thanks for the tip though, it was worth a try

If you change hardware settings, you should also maintain the same settings on both ends of the wire, i.e. at the computer *and* the ethernet switch.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. There isn't much (in fact, nothing at all) I can configure on my switch's end as it's a cheap 8-port 10/100mbit switch (A UNEX NexSwitch SD080s). I just forced it to use 100baseTX / full-duplex which I think was used before I forced it as well.