Can you provide the output of nfsstat -c 1 on the web servers (and nfsstat
-s 1 on the nfs server if they are running FreeBSD)? Run them for a minute
when you are getting bad performance.

Please also quantify "moderately high traffic". What is this in Mbit/s?
Also, it may be helpful to know a little bit about your network
infrastructure, i.e. are the switch ports set to full duplex and the
machines to match. NFS performance is very dependent on a fast reliable
network. Don't consider anything less than 100Mbit/s full duplex. Also what
platform is the NFS server?

We recently migrated from a cluster pair of NetApps to a single NFS server
running FreeBSD. This is mounted by four NFS clients running Zeus. We have a
lot of NFS experience and we felt confident this would work. It did and with
the most marginal degradation in performance.

Frem.