--- Kiffin Gish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just wondering what a good rule of thumb is in how
> often to run portupgrades.
>
> I figure that once a week should be sufficient,
> however each time it runs it can take up to a few
> hours to complete which seems like an unnecessary
> hassle to me. Once it even started rebuilding the
> complete gnome port which took a couple days!
>
> Is this worthwhile? What are the benefits?
>
> Thanks alot in advance.
Kiffin,
Interestingly enough I was glancing at one of the
FreeBSD books and it said (I'm paraphrasing here)
Uptime isn't something one should be proud of. If
uptime is, for example, 350 days then darn it
something probably needs updating. It just becomes
more of a in-your-face sort of thing because then
packages have to be fetched, compiled, installed and
all that.
Do the research to see what a portupgrade is going to
touch and see what fixes there are. A good example for
upgrading would be finding out that (I don't recall
which program reports that a port has a given security
issue and briefly tells you to either upgrade or
uninstall) if a given port has a security fix for it.
Did a smidge of research and I think it is portaudit
found in security/portaudit.
Alrighty, back to your question. If, for example,
portaudit says there's a security issue and you are
worried about it then upgrade (perhaps have portaudit
run every night).
I guess what I'm trying to say is --What ever you are
comfortable with.

Hope that helps.

~Mr. Anderson