On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:46:12 +0000, Martin Tournoy wrote
> Dual-boot is always a bit of a risk to install, backup your important
> data first...
>
> I have good experiences with the GAG bootmanager, which can be
> installed as a port sysutils/gag, and the website is
> http://gag.sourceforge.net/
>
> You can just create a boot floppy, and either save the config on the
> floppy or the MBR, it simple and easy, unlike lilo or grub
>
> On 04/12/05, martinko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Mr. Albritton wrote:
> > > How viable is it to install FreeBSD along side WinXP?  (Dual Boot)
Also, can the BSD MBR be removed once it's installed?  I've tried FIXMBR with
the WinXP CD and it didn't work....  <sigh>  Any suggestions?
> > > ---
> > > Mike Albritton
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >

> > you don't have to install fbsd's mbr at all. you could use win nt/xp
> > boot manager. but fot that to work you would need to create a boot
> > sector image to boot fbsd. i've achieved it with software called
> > bootpart. or you can use grub.
> >
> > btw, my winxp stopped working after i tried to install 2nd installation
> > of fbsd -- i had 5.4 and i installed 6.0. most unfortunately, fdisk
> > shuffled partitions and my grub stopped working properly. i managed to
> > fix it by hand (good old norton disk editor) and everything works fine
> > but winxp -- i got a message saying something like it cannot load hal
> > file or something. :-((
> >
> > martin

well, i do not think this is about boot manager. i have not touched boot
manager (i have both grub and winxp) and i was successful in reparing my
partition table. all other systems (dos, fbsd, linux) work, only winxp
complains about that HAL file or something. :-((

anyone has had experienced something similar and know how to fix it pls ???

cheers,

martin