On 12 Dec 2005, at 20:36, FreeBSD Maillists wrote:

I am using FreeBSD 6.0 release and Firefox 1.5_5.1. With my old kernel which did not have SMP and hyperthreading enabled, it would just run
the cpu up to 100% upon startup.  Now with SMP and hyperthreading
enabled it locks up the computer and I have to give the computer a hard
power down.  The cpu is a P4.

Any hints as to what might be going on are appreciated.

It's a new bug (with workable exploit) in Firefox 1.5.
Delete file history.dat from you Firefox 1.5 installation.

http://www.softodrom.ru/win/blogs/b717.shtml   (In Russian)
http://www.securitylab.ru/poc/extra/242789.php (In English)

I went and tried that, but I still ended up crashing my computer.  I
wonder if I should delete the whole ~/.mozilla/firefox directory?
Perhaps it is corrupted.

Quote from http://www.securitylab.ru/poc/extra/242789.php
The next time that firefox is
opened, it will instantly crash due to a buffer overflow -- this will
happen everytime until you manually delete the history.dat file -- which
most users won't figure out.

Maybe problem in something other...

I running 6.0-RELEASE and just upgraded to 1.5. It doesnt open for me at all.
Where do you find the history.dat file?