--On 13. december 2005 12:36 +0200 Giorgos Keramidas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2005-12-13 09:36, Sasa Stupar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The main two reasons for dividing up your FreeBSD disk in to
partitions rather than making just one big partition are to reduce
the threat of runaway processes and to manage backup and restore
sizes.

Think those things out to meet your needs and resources.

OK. But then what would be ideal slice size for /, /var, /usr, /boot?

That's not something that can be answered easily with a "template"
answer.  The best sizes are those that match your own needs and
preferences, but only you can describe what these are.'

Back when I bought a new, bigger disk, I wrote this post:

http://keramida.serverhive.com/weblog/archives/2004-10-26/daemonizing-a-n
ew-disk

which includes a description of the partitions I used and why I chose
these sizes.

The tuning(7) manpage also has a good description of how to pick a good
disk partitioning scheme:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=tuning&sektion=7&apropos=0&manpa
th=FreeBSD+6.0-RELEASE+and+Ports

Thanx. This is very good explanation.