On Dec 14, 2005, at 2:21 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
You forgot to tell us which VIA chipset or MB-- there are lots and
lots of VIA-based motherboards around, with a wide variety of hardware.

        Here's the URL on the board.  It looks okay, but then it was
        written by salesmen:).   I'm flying blind here.

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx? DetailID=358&MenuID=22&LanID=2

The onboard graphics is "embedded UniChromeII 3D Graphics, 64M share memory", which I do not believe is supported well under X11, you're better off getting a real video card unless you're going to be working remotely or headless.

The embedded AC97 audio controller probably will work, though, as should the onboard VT6103 NIC.

I wouldn't get a Celeron + VIA combo; I'd rather use an Intel MB with
an Intel CPU, and I'd much rather get a Pentium-3/-M CPU then a
Celeron. Otherwise, go with an VIA socket-A motherboard and a Athlon-
XP/Barton/Sempron CPU, those should be quite inexpensive and yet
perform quite well.

        My hardware days date from the Vax 11/70, and it's hard to
        keep track.  But here's another question:  What's wrong with
        the Celeron?  The "better" Intel would be another $100.

The Celeron's have about half to 1/4th as much L2 cache as the better CPU. For some specific tasks, like pure routing, it won't matter, but for almost anything else a P3 is a much better performer.

        Re the Athlon, yes, it is a bit less, but doesn't it run
        hotter than the Intel?  Half of my platforms are Celeron
        and I push them hard, but if AMD is just as good, then that's
        the way to go.

It depends on the AMD model, the Semprons are going to run around 40W, whereas the older Althons and the Barton cores are in the mid-60W range. I've got a 80mm fan on my AMD3200+ Barton, but it runs cooler than a similar 2.4GHz P4 box. Most P4's want 70W or more, but on the other hand, the Celerons and P3's are around 35W.

--
-Chuck