Thanks so much Helge.  Tried this and everything is working
fine now.

Regards
Chris Saunders

Works very simple: In sysinstall, when you configure your network card, you simply answer 'yes' to the question whether you want to use DHCP. In my case, that sets the gateway to the internet correctly, and everything works out of the box, at home and in my office. I don't know about something such as adsl-setup though. Best bet is to choose a provider whose ADSL-modem functions as a DHCP server, i think.

Helge